skip to Main Content


Co-Sponsorship Opportunities

The Institute for Research on Women, Gender, and Sexuality enthusiastically welcomes the opportunity to collaborate with other departments, institutes, centers, and student groups to support the wide range of intellectual, cultural, and artistic activities that are consistent with IRWGS’s mission.

Co-sponsorship requests should be addressed to Ryan Grubbs, Associate Director at, subject line: “Co-Sponsorship,” and should include the following:

  • 1-page description of event or activity
  • Specific nature of the support requested from IRWGS and co-sponsor role
  • Budget, including other sources of support (please note that not all requests for financial co-sponsorship support can be granted)

Visiting Scholars

IRWGS welcomes applications from visiting scholars seeking to pursue independent research on Columbia’s campus for a period of up to one year.

Please note that according to University policy, “visiting scholar” is a courtesy designation that does not signify a formal association with the University. Individuals given these titles may not claim a University affiliation for the purpose of applying for grants or contracts and should not represent themselves in their publications, correspondence, and/or curriculum vitae as having a University affiliation.

Visiting scholars are responsible for arranging and demonstrating their own financial support and benefits (including health care coverage) while in residence, including travel to and from New York, living expenses, suitable housing, and university or library fees. We are unable to provide office space at IRWGS at this time.

How to apply:

Scholars with an invitation or letter of support from an IRWGS faculty member should email (subject line: “Visiting Scholar Application”) with the following documentation:

  • Current curriculum vitae
  • One-page description of intended research project

Foreign nationals will ordinarily need a J-1 visa in order to visit the University. Upon submission of all the documentation required by the United States government, the International Students and Scholars Office (ISSO) will issue the DS-2019 form needed to support the J-1 application. The application for the DS-2019 is available from the ISSO. It is accompanied by detailed guidelines on its completion and on the government regulations with which applicants for a J-1 visa must comply.