Trans Awareness Month: Resources and Events
Resources on Campus
- Visit the Trans @ Columbia page to find out about specific policies on campus at well as resources
- Helpful Pamphlet with information about LGBTQ Resources on Campus
- List of LGBTQ clubs for students on campus
- LGBTQ at Columbia Health
- Alice! Health Promotion fosters a culture that values and supports the health of students across genders, gender expression, and sexual orientation.
- LGBTQ Family Tree: firstname.lastname@example.org
- A branch of the Columbia Mentoring Initiative where students can find a peer mentor or serve as a peer mentor to first year students.
- CU Safe Zone Sessions: CU Safe Zone is a 3-hour training session that provides foundational knowledge needed to support and act in solidarity with LGBTQ+ communities at Columbia University.
- Friday, November 17, 2017 from 1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- GendeRevolution: email at email@example.com
- GendeRevolution is Columbia’s first organization devoted solely to equal rights for transgender individuals.
- Meets on Tuesdays at 8 pm in the Stephan Donaldson Lounge in Schapiro Hall
- Queer Academics at Columbia
- Queer Academics is a supportive discussion group open to LGBTQ grad students from all of Columbia’s schools. Come meet students from other departments and schools, talk about the challenges and opportunities of being queer and a CU grad student, and learn about resources on and off campus.
- This group meets the second Thursday of every month from 6:00-7:00 p.m. in the CPS conference room – Lerner Hall, 8th floor.
- For more information, contact Daniel Chiarilli (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Rachel Efron (email@example.com).
Mental Health and Counseling
- CPS has a LGBTQ Concerns Team that have a special interest and expertise in working with LGBTQ students and may be good matches for LGBTQ students.
- The Center
- The Center fosters a welcoming environment where everyone is celebrated for who they are. We offer the LGBT communities of NYC health and wellness programs; arts, entertainment and cultural events; recovery, wellness, parenthood and family support services.
- TGNC Resources
- Various nonprofit resources that include: Health Resources, Therapy/Counseling Resources, Support/Discussion Groups, Legal Resources and Resources for Family, Friends, Allies and Partners
- Trans Legal Clinic
- A free legal clinic for transgender and gender non-conforming community members regarding gender-affirming access to healthcare, insurance, employment issues, housing, name and gender marker changes, public benefits and other programs. Drop by The Center for a walk-in appointment the first Wednesday of every month between 6 – 7:30 p.m.
- What’s Up with Trans Healthcare? Town Hall hosted by the Sylvia Rivera Law Project (SRLP)
- Date: Thursday, November 9, 6 PM – 8 PM
- Location: The Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender Community Center, 208 W 13th St, New York, New YOrk 10011
- Trans Day of Remembrance, hosted by Audre Lorde Project
- Date: November 15, 6 PM – 9 PM
- Location: St. John’s Lutheran Church, NYC 81 Christopher st, New York, New York 10014
- How to Get Pregnant, Juniper Yoga, hosted by NYC Midwives Queer/Trans Family Building Group
- Date: November 18, 1pm – 3pm
- Location: 639 Vanderbilt Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11238
- Transgender Day of Remembrance: Join The Center in reflecting on the lives of community members we have lost to oppression, stigma and violence.
- Date: November 18, 7pm – 9pm
- Location: 208 W 13th, 10011
- List of events occurring around New York City for Trans Awareness Month. Sign up required.